Tuesday 16 December 2008

just want to get naked and listen to world music

Tuesday 16 December 2008


I feel educated and worldy when I listen to music from obscure corners of the globe. I feel like my university education on globalisation and international stuff wasn't wasted. Helps me sleep at night and feel meaningful in this world.

Buraka Som Sistema - Sound of Kuduro (feat. DJ Znobia, M.I.A, Saborosa and Puto Prata)

Buraka Som Sistema - Kalemba (Wegue Wegue)

Buraka Som Sistema - D... D... D... D... Jay

Buraka Som Sistema - Yah! (feat. Petty)

These 4 tracks come from Buraka Som Sistema's new album Black Diamond. They're a Portuguese/Angolan 4-piece who combine kuduro (a rhythmic African style of samba-infused beats originating from Angola in the 1990s) with dub-step, techno and drum 'n' bass. The result is gnarly, crunked-out ghetto-funk and a live show that Fader magazine described as "one of the most jaw-droppingly effusive club moments we've experienced."

I spoke to Rui Pite (aka DJ Riot) from Buraka Som Sistema a few weeks ago. He told me that his dad comes to as many shows as he can and dances like a crazy man. The rest is here.

But they're playing two shows in Sydney next year: St Jerome's Laneway Festival and the Sydney Festival Becks Bar. I'm struggling to think of a venue more inappropriate than either of these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sweet. exactly what I needed.