Sunday 10 January 2010

neon indian is here today

Sunday 10 January 2010


Neon Indian said this in an interview with Pedestrian:

You seem to be roped in with acts such as Memory Tapes and Washed Out in this vague probably non existent genre called Chillwave/Glo-Fi. Do you have an affinity for those guys? I like those acts for sure. I just find it kind of odd that the internet doesn't really let you pick your own musical movements anymore. Whereas before you could say that a genre developed in a certain city by a community of friends who were all drawing influence from each other or shared overlapping musical objectives, now a blogger or journalist can just draw a few ambiguous commonalities between you and a two or three other bands in different areas of the country or world for that matter and call it a movement.

This is 100% true. As a journalist (and mostly a music journalist), I write so much shit! Everything is a "trend". My new year's resolution is to stop writing crap. I proposed this to my boss and he agreed with the "no shit" part but not really with the "no trends" part because a newspaper is all about trends. I also proposed writing in a more freaky deaky gonzo post-modern style and he said "no". I will persevere on the gonzo front. I feel this post isn't the best start to my "no shit" resolution.

Au Revoir Simone - Another Likely Story (Neon Indian Remix)

Neon Indian - Should Have Taken Acid With You

No comments: