Thursday 24 January 2008

In the Battle

Thursday 24 January 2008

photo: Jack Walsh

While we were excitedly discussing our Big Day Out plans the other day, my mate Jack made me promise to forego aussie rock stalwarts Silverchair in favour of new-ish rockers Battles. At the time, I wasn't so sure about this promise, as I hadn't really heard much of their stuff (other than their song 'Ddiamondd' that i had picked up somewhere along the way). To make me feel better he gave me a copy of their CD 'Mirrored'.

It is awesome. I am now glad that i made that promise to him.

Mirrored is an album that shouldn't be reduced to a couple of hit tracks, but should all be listened to in one sitting. Or perhaps again and again in many different sittings. Layered over the crunchy, prog rock foundation are ambient noises, slightly off-key notes and echoing, barely-there vocals which make it haunting and somehow compelling- bringing back memories of the awesome 'De-Loused in the Comatorium' by the Mars Volta.

Battles - Leyendecker

(I know i just said that listening to just one or two tracks is not the right way to appreciate Battles but I want y'all to get an idea of what they sound like in case you haven't heard them.)

I'm not sure how this will convert live but im sure it will be rad. If you're comin' on down to the Sydney BDO tomorrow please come and see them. awesome.

Man its a good line up this year- here is a tiny taste. Can not wait to see Pnau. Old men that rock my world.


Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of (SebastiAn Remix)


Aston Shuffle - For Everyone (Stupid Fresh Remix)


Grafton Primary - I Can Cook (Miami Horror Remix)


Pnau - Embrace

Meanwhile what a nice day- what the F am im doing sitting in an office. life is wasted sometimes.

ssssssssss

No comments: