Wednesday 11 March 2009

indie-orchestral is the new barry obama

Wednesday 11 March 2009



I'm over ghetto-tech, shoegaze, psychedelic groove rock, banger town, Italo sleaze horror and any other obscure genre I was once interested in. Now my interest lies solely with indie-orchestral - the soundtrack to my arthouse dreams.

On Saturday night, m83 performed at the Walt Disney Concert Hall with the L.A. Philharmonic Orchestra. I tried to find a clip of it (below) but it's shit and wouldn't come close to capturing how surreal the performance would have been. I'm trying to imagine how mindwarping it would be to hear the L.A. Philharmonic play an m83 remix of a Bloc Party song then the epic 11 minute soundscape “Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun”.

m83 - Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun

The LA Times described it as an initially captivating experiment that grew so enamored with its own emotional tumult that the show sometimes felt a bit like detention - which I think is fucking hilarious and an apt description. As much as I love m83, he definitely gets caught up in his own epically meaningful sound-sculpting pomp.




No comments: