Thursday 5 March 2009

i fell in love with a dead boy

Thursday 5 March 2009


Growing up he listened to Marc Almond and Boy George and watched Mondo New York. He performed transvestism and avant-garde stage shows and learnt from Devendra Banhart. He collaborated with Boy George, Lou Reed, Jimmy Scott and Rufus Wainwright despite the fact he flew below the radar for so long. Antony Hegarty is otherwordly, I'm not even sure he belongs on this blog. So haunting and so crafted and thoughtful and raw that it threatens most people, myself included. I am often overwhelmed by his music, I'm sometimes not sure I can handle it.

These three are from the new album The Crying Light.

Antony and the Johnsons - Another World

Antony and the Johnsons - Kiss My Name

Antony and the Johnsons - Daylight In The Sun

Is this way too introspective to be comedown-core? I dream of the day when some heroic producer has the talent to remix Antony and the Johnsons and come up with some shoegazey piece of bliss.

No comments: